The foundation is an independent nonprofit that works in close partnership with City Schools of Decatur. More specifically, DEF works to:
- Help individuals or organizations implement select ideas to support youth
- Fund special initiatives from City Schools of Decatur
- Host and manage scholarships and other funds for designated purposes
- Connect people and ideas with others to benefit Decatur youth
- Create or join collaborations to address needs and support programs
The Foundation itself grew out of Decatur’s neighborhoods. In the late 1990s, a group of citizens from across the city united around the idea that Decatur youth would benefit from a community organization that contributes to making local education the best it can be.
The Decatur Education Foundation was incorporated in 2002 and in the early years it was administered out of the City Schools of Decatur offices. In 2009, the Foundation hired its first paid staff member. Today, it operates with a small staff and a large volunteer base.
While students in need are a primary focus of the Foundation, DEF’s activities and programs reach every student at some point in the school year. See the impact we have here.
Find out more about our programs here.